カテゴリーのアイコン Work Life in Japan
How to Get a Tokutei Gino Visa for Specified Skilled Workers
Sep 28, 2023
4 min read
Twitter Image
Top Image

If you would like to work in Japan but don’t have any idea where to start, we can help! Let us introduce you to Tokutei Gino Visa or a Specified Skilled Worker Visa, which allows you to work in Japan for up to 5 years! Sound interesting?

What Is a Tokutei Gino Visa?

The Tokutei Gino Visa or Specified Skilled Worker Visa is a visa that the Japan Government issues to overseas human resources with specific expertise and skills in 14 serious labor shortage industries consisting of these below.

  1. Care Worker
  2. Building Cleaning Management
  3. Machine Parts & Tooling Industries
  4. Industrial Machinery Industry
  5. Electric, Electronics and Information Industries
  6. Construction Industry
  7. Shipbuilding and Ship Machinery Industry
  8. Automobile Repair and Maintenance
  9. Aviation Industry
  10. Accommodation Industry
  11. Agriculture
  12. Fishery & Aquaculture
  13. Manufacture of Food and Beverages
  14. Food Service Industry

How Can I Get a Specified Skilled Worker Visa?

If you are interested in working in those industries, there are some procedures that you need to take step by step as follows.

Step 1: Choose a Skill You Are Interested In

Choosing an industry that you are good at is important because it is directly related to your skills and knowledge. Therefore, if you decide to take the test in a field close to your existing knowledge, you will have a better chance of passing the test.

Step 2:Check the Requirements of Each Category

The basic requirement is an age requirement of 17 years or more (some categories require you to be 18 years or over). Typically, all levels of education are welcome.

Step 3: Taking the Tests

For the examination, you must pass a proficiency test based on the specific skills needed for the industry, and a Japanese language proficiency test.

Specified Skilled Proficiency Test

The specific skilled proficiency test is divided into the 14 skills mentioned above. The test aims to evaluate professional proficiency with the particular skills needed in each industry.

JFT-Basic Test

The Japanese language proficiency test (JFT-Basic Test) is divided into four sections, namely “kanji and vocabulary,” “conversation and expressions,” “listening,” and “reading,”. These sections measure the level of Japanese language required in daily life that is essential for international residents to work in Japan. Alternatively, you can use the Japanese Language Proficiency Test JLPT N4 result instead.

Those tests are Computer-Based Testing (CBT method) exams held in many countries, such as Japan, Thailand, Indonesia, and the Philippines. Still, some skilled proficiency tests have the exam in limited countries only. You can see more details here.

Step 4: Looking for a Job

After passing the qualification test, it is time to look for a job related to your skills. The way to find a job is divided into two.

Outside Japan

This case is for overseas nationals who are not in Japan. You need to apply for a job with private employment agencies directly.

In Japan

This case is for overseas nationals already in Japan at this moment. You can apply for a job through Hello Work, a Japanese government employment service center located in many areas throughout the country, or you can apply through private employment agencies.

Or the most accessible way! You can find a job via Guidable Jobs as well.


Step 5: Sign the Contract and Get a Specified Skilled Worker Visa!

CONGRATULATIONS! After passing the interviews with employers, getting a job, and signing a contract, you can now take a rest and wait for your visa! The agencies will mainly be in charge of this step, and they will guide you on what to do. Do not worry about it too much. Your new life journey is beginning.

Getting Your Tokutei Gino Visa

Please keep in mind that the Tokutei Gino Visa or Specified Skilled Worker Visa must be renewed regularly, either every six months or four months, depending on each case, and can be extended up to 5 years. Also, the visa holder’s family cannot move to live together. However, it is still a good starting point for moving to Japan permanently.

Written by

Guidable JobsへのTOPページ
latest article thumbnail

Self-Sponsored Visa Japan: How to Sponsor Your Visa If You Work Freelance or Part-Time

Sep 28, 2023
4 min read
latest article thumbnail

What It's Like to Be a Translator in Japan in 2023

Sep 28, 2023
4 min read
latest article thumbnail

Your Guide to Engineering Careers in Japan

Sep 28, 2023
4 min read
latest article thumbnail

Japanese Business Dinner Etiquette: A Guide for International Residents

Sep 28, 2023
6 min read
Search Icon
My Job Icon
My Jobs
Sign Up
Log In